Sunday, September 28, 2008

The State Fair

Eric and I love the fair. Our first date was to the Oklahoma State Fair. In the past ten years we have made a trip to a fair almost every year. Yesterday we decided to get up early and go to the great State Fair of Texas. We had a blast. First, Syd and Eric went through the “Little Hands on The Farm” exhibit. Syd got to (pretend) plant seeds, milk a cow, shear a sheep, gather eggs, pick peaches and potatoes and then finally sell all of her stuff at the general store. Then as they were leaving they got free ice cream bars. That was Syd’s first taste of fair food, and she loved it. Next, we sat down for lunch. Eric got the famous Texas Corny Dog, which was delicious. I opted for a deep-fried s’more, which was one of the best things I’ve ever eaten in my whole life. Imagine, a funnel cake coated s’more, YUM-O! I could feel my arteries clogging and it was totally worth it. After lunch it was time for the petting zoo. All of the kids loved feeding the goats. I had to keep watching Mason and Macky to make sure they were actually feeding the goats and not eating the food. Then we moved on to the camel, which Syd really liked because it would eat out of her hand. This was very surprising to me that she would even consider letting an animal eat out of her hand, but she really enjoyed it. The next animals we saw were the ostriches, which were a little scary. Syd held her cup out for them to eat out of it and it pecked the cup really hard. She dropped her cup and had this terrified look on her face. That pretty much put an end to the petting zoo. We cleaned our hands, took our family picture and made a beeline for the exit. Finally, we made it to The Midway. I really wanted Sydney to ride at least one ride, but knowing Syd, I didn’t really expect this to happen. Much to my surprise, she found a little roller coaster to ride. She really liked it. She even put her hands in the air. We were all pretty much done and ready to go home by this point, so we stopped and got a funnel cake for the walk to the car. Who doesn’t like fried dough covered in powdered sugar?

All in all, it was a great day. Days like that make me so happy. It’s getting easier for the five of us to do things. Simple things like going to dinner, grocery shopping or the fair are a little daunting when you have two babies. Yesterday made me realize that it will continue to get easier and that there are even more fun times in store for our family of five.

Isn't she a cute farmer?


Just riding my tractor.


Lunch time!
My little animals feeding the animals.
At least two of us are looking at the camera.
Syd's first roller coaster ride.
It was a long day.

1 comments:

Angela said...

Im glad you guys had fun! Im sad I missed the fair this year! :( You look great stormi, and the kids all look adorable as usuall, cant wait to see you guys!