Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Rain Man

Close friends and family affectionately call Eric “Rain Man”. Why, you ask? Many reasons, but I’ll share a few. First, he can do math in his head. I’m not talking large addition and subtraction, I’m sure a lot of people can do that. The kind of math that I’m referring to is large multiplication and division. Stuff most people would do with a calculator. Don’t get me wrong, he is very fast with the addition and subtraction. I used to use Eric instead of a calculator when I balanced my checkbook in college (he was faster). Also, Eric tends to get a little ‘hot water burn baby’ in most social situations. The final example I’ll give you is when we first met, all of his vitamins and cds were alphabetized and categorized. It was quite a site. This precise organization has dissipated a little over the years due to lack of time and other things (or children) requiring his attention. However, the Rain Man in him is still there as evidenced by his projects over the past few days. He has cleaned out and organized all of the closets. This was a huge undertaking. Our closet especially, well at least my side. Let me say, that I haven’t really organized or done much since we moved and I was pregnant with the babies when we moved into the house. That being said, including maternity clothes, I had 6 different sizes of clothes. Needless to say I had a lot of clothes that don’t fit any more, so off they into the ‘donate’ pile. Eric also organized and cleaned out his side of the closet. This was a big deal because Eric has a ridiculous wardrobe. He has more clothes that I do (or did). Between the two of us we have 8 huge bags going to Goodwill. I’m so proud of him for taking on this challenge and for helping me. He also organized our walk-in pantry. The pantry was another area that had gotten out of control. He used his magic and viola it looks great and I actually have some extra space. Eric also went “Rain Man” on the garage. It now holds a ping-pong table, his Christmas present from my parents, and a dartboard. I’m so impressed by how easy all of this is for Eric. He just kept asking me, “How do you eat an elephant?” I know the answer is, one bite at a time, but I decided that I would never eat an elephant. I don’t think I could ever take that first bite! I love having everything organized and I’m really disappointed in myself for letting it get so disorganized. I would love to blame it on the craziness of the last 15 months, but I hate excuses. I will just say, that now that it is done my goal is to keep everything the way it is. Thanks, Rain Man. You are the best and I love you!

3 comments:

Angela said...

hillarious, it does look great! You should have posted before and after pics!

Comiskey T&K said...

Great pictures and I like your Blog format.

delmuro said...

i guess i haven't met these close friends and family because i've never heard him called 'rain man.' i've heard 'double eagle' and 'inner ear problem' but never rain man...