Thursday, October 9, 2008

We run for Kiki!

We did Race for the Cure last weekend and it was awesome. There were 20 of us walking for my Mom. Each year, it seems like there are more and more people that join us. This year, my Mom’s friend Vicki, who is also a survivor, came down with her daughter, son-in-law and new grandson. Vicki used to coach my sister and her oldest daughter in coach-pitch softball. She was diagnosed shortly after my Mom. It was so good to see her and her family. I haven’t seen them in forever.

We all gathered together in front of the UPS package car (that’s for you Autie) and assembled our troops, which consisted of 12 adults and 9 children. All of the mom’s packed different breakfast food and we swapped and shared until all of the kids were happy and fed and ready for the race. We waited until most of the group of 16,000 had dissipated before starting the race. It is really hard to navigate three strollers and keep track of 4 big kids in a crowd that large. We planned to do the 5k, but ended up taking a short cut so we probably did about a 3.5K. The big kids really enjoyed ‘running’ the race and I think the babies liked looking at all of the people run past them. The race ended with the Survivor’s Ceremony, which is still one of my favorite parts of the whole day. This year my Mom and Vicki were standing next to a woman who was 85 years old and a 49-year Survivor and she wasn’t even the oldest. The oldest was 87 years old. I couldn’t believe it. We ended the day with lunch and then all parted ways to go home and take naps.

I realized something on this trip that I’ve known for a while, but just never took the time to think about. Our friends are more than friends; they are our family and I love them. Our kids are very comfortable around each other and it makes it very easy to be in large crowds because there are so many adult eyes looking out for every one. There is always an extra hand or someone there to help out. It’s really like being in a big family. We are so lucky to have these friends.

On Sunday, Eric and I decided to do a little brainwashing and take the kids to campus. We got lunch and found a spot in front of Carpenter Hall and had a picnic. Afterwards, the kids were able to run around and enjoy the beautiful weather. Eric and I both really want our kids to have fun memories of going to campus. We had a great time walking around and even brought home a few OU goodies.

The family of five before the race.




Check out those Mommies!


The big kids (Jacob, Ethan, Syd & Braeden) & Mr. Ross take a water break.



Vicki & Kiki at the finish line.





Enjoying Campus



Mason's first haircut

1 comments:

Angela said...

We had a great time with you as well, and we love you too!!! Thanks for the double chin shot!